Finding Aid Number 10
UC 20.1 Abigail E. Weeks
Record Group : 20 Faculty
Collection Number : 1
Location : Archive Box
Processing Information : Finding Aid created by
Bruce Miracle on April 30, 2007.
Note : Abigail E. Weeks was a Librarian and teacher of English. Her dates at Union College were: 1905-07; 1910-1915; and 1917-1937 (Source: Union College 1878-1979 by Bradley & Marigold).
- Envelope with handwritten notation: "27¢ donation to New Gymnasium." Enclosed in plastic sandwich bag. [According to Bradley & Marigold, in 1912, Ms. Weeks put forth this token donation in order to encourage contributions for a new gymnasium].
Small display case containing: the 27 cents donated by Ms. Weeks for the construction of a Gymnasium (5 nickels and 2 pennies); an envelope from Claypool Hotel with the typed label, “First Donation to Gymnasium” ; and a handwritten note dated, March 13, 1912 stating: “Received from Mrs. Weeks 27 cts. First donation towards gymnasium for Union College.” Signed by: “F. W. Harrop” (added: 4-4-2013)
- Letter from Abigail Weeks to James Asa Johnson dated Feb. 21 1937. [This letter was found in the book Fireflies by Rabindranath Tagore in June 2010 ; this book had been owned by Ms Weeks].
NOTE: Letter concerns the book which she has loaned to Mr. Johnson as well as her experience in recent library cataloging and the packing she is doing for her move to Elkland, PA.
- Alma Mater materials (written by Abigail E. Weeks) and an Alumni Banquet Program from 1937—in honor of Ms. Weeks.
- Essays by students of A.E. Weeks – Much of this is History of Barbourville materials created by Ms. Weeks’ students in the early to mid twenties as part of a class project. The history was published in parts in the Orange and Black and the Barbourville Mountain Advocate.
- The content in Folder 4 is a continuation of the content in Folder 3.