Finding Aid 29
Union College Archives
UC 2.3 Individual Presidents
Record Group : 2
Collection : 3
Location : Archive Box
Processing Information : Finding Aid created by
Bruce Miracle on June 1, 2007.
Folder 1: James P. Faulkner (1897-1905)
Contents: Two speeches by Dr. Faulkner entitled:
- Address at the Fiftieth Anniversary Celebration of the Founding of Union College – May 25, 1929
- “Dr. Stevenson As I Knew Him” Address at the Fiftieth Anniversary Celebration of the Coming or Dr. Daniel Stevenson to Union College – May 27, 1936
Contents Note: For each speech there is a typewritten manuscript with manual corrections, and one photocopy of each manuscript – the photocopies were made by Bruce Miracle in September 2012
Folder 2: James D. Black (1910-1912)
- Handwritten speech notes pertaining to Governor Black.
- Eight page booklet entitled: “Address of Hon. James D. Black, Lieutenant Governor and President of the Senate” dated: January 18, 1918.
- Typed article on James D. Black copied from Judge Charles Keen’s History of Kentucky.
- Letter of resignation from the Presidency of Union College to the Board of Education of the Kentucky Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and a letter to the same Board regarding financial problems at the college.
- Correspondence between President Black’s nephew Henry C. Black and Mr. Lee Blackwell of Louisville, KY 1961.
NOTE: James Dixon Black was president of Union College from 1910 to 1912. He later served as Kentucky state assistant attorney-general, lieutenant-governor and Governor (source – Union College, 1879-1979 by Bradley & Marigold).
Folder 3 : John Owen Gross (1929-1938)
- Union College Bulletin Newsletter (3 typed pages) dated July 1931 (Vol. X, No. 2) – signed by President Gross.
Conway Boatman (1938-1959)
- Correspondence between President Boatman and Mr. Lee Blackwell of Louisville, KY 1952 & 1953.
Folder 4: Mahlon A. Miller (1959-1982)
- “STATE OFUNION– 1967, An Address to the Faculty and Staff of Union
College by President Mahlon A. Miller, March 30, 1967” 13 pages
- One page by Douglas L. Blair, Chairman of the Board of Trustees, to “ALL
STUDENTS, FACULTY, AND STAFF” announcing the resignation of
President Mahlon A. Miller