Students are randomly selected for verification by the Department of Education. Verification is the process of documenting the information provided on the FAFSA. It requires the completion of a verification form and that supporting financial documents be provided. You will be notified by the Kentucky Higher Education Assistance Authority if you have been selected for verification.
To expedite the verification process, please use the IRS Data Retrieval option provided on the FAFSA. If you are unable to complete the data retrieval you will be required to provide a copy of your IRS tax transcript.
Tax filers can request a free tax transcript online or by phone.
Online Request Instructions
- Visit www.irs.gov
- On the homepage under tools, click order a tax return or account transcript.
- Click on order tax transcript.
- Enter the tax filer’s information. Use the same address as you used to file your taxes.
- In the type of transcript field, select return transcript and in the tax year field select 2013.
- Call 1-800-908-9946.
- Tax filers must follow prompts to enter their information.
- Select option 2 to request an IRS tax return transcript and enter 2013.