Counseling Services

Union College provides counseling services to all of its students free of charge. Our counselors have extensive training in psychology and human behavior and can address a variety of issues. 

People see counselors for a variety of reasons, including anxiety, depression, substance abuse, loneliness, stress management, an eating disorder or relationship issues. People sometimes find that they need a little extra emotional support during times when they are faced with grief, loss or other significant life events. People also see counselors because they “just don’t feel right” or because they are ready for personal growth and insight. Some counseling issues are, perhaps, very intense while other counseling issues are not at all.

You do not need a referral to come to counseling, just call the office at 606-546-1684 and refer yourself. 

Counseling Center information

Please contact our counselor, Daniel Sulfridge, to schedule an appointment.  Mr. Sulfridge can be reached at or by calling 606-546-1684.


The Center for Counseling is dedicated to providing quality psychological services to students of Union College. It is the intention of the Center to protect your confidential information as required by law and in keeping with your rights. Our standards are informed by Kentucky law.

All information is private and will not be shared with anyone beyond the Center for Counseling staff. There may be times when a student is receiving services from both the Center for Counseling and Student Health Services. Information may be disclosed between these two offices under the same State statutes.

No information, including the fact that you are receiving counseling, will be shared with relatives, professors, or university authorities without your written permission. The only exceptions are:

  1. When there is risk of harm to the student or another person; counselors have a legal and ethical duty to do whatever is necessary to protect life;
  2. When a court of law orders a counselor to release information, the counselor is bound by law to comply with such an order;
  3. When the counselor is obligated by law to report suspicion of physical or sexual abuse or risk of such abuse of children;
  4. If you are under 18 years of age, the Center for Counseling will not contact your parents, but by law parents can request information from your file with or without your written permission.

Occasionally, situations arise which would interfere with an effective professional counseling relationship such as having a counselor as a current professor or the counselor having previous information about you from another source such as family or friends. In these cases, you will be assigned to a different counselor to protect your privacy and information will not be shared with the counselor with whom you have outside contact.


Daniel Sulfridge
Director of Counseling