Chapter 1606/1607: How to apply

Step One: Apply to the United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) for your education benefits. The application, VA form 22-1900, is available on the Veterans ON-line APPlication (VONAPP) website.

Step Two: Provide your confirmation number and subsequent Certificate of Eligibility to The Union College Registrar’s office. Also, if you have a Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE), give the Union College Registrar’s Office a copy.

Step Three: Select a major by the time you reach junior standing (90-134 credits earned). The Union College Registrar will certify your enrollment to the VA.

Step Four: On the last calendar day of the month, you must verify your enrollment to the VA via the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) or by calling the toll free Interactive Voice Response line at 1 (877) 823-2378.

Monthly benefits are paid directly to you to use at your discretion. If your enrollment has been certified 30 days prior to the start of the term, the first benefit should be expected to arrive in the month following the first full month of school. For example, if you start school in the fall, your first benefit should be expected to arrive in November.