Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill): How to Apply

Step One: To initiate your benefit or elect to switch to Chapter 33 benefits, you must submit an application to the United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). The application, VA form 22-1990, is available on the Veterans ON-line APPlication (VONAPP) website.

Step Two: Provide your confirmation number and subsequent Certificate of Eligibility to Union College Registrar. Also, if you have a Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE), give the Union College Registrar’s Office a copy.

Step Three: Select a major by the time you reach junior standing (90-134 credits earned). The Union College Registrar will certify your enrollment to the VA.

The tuition and fees benefits are paid directly to the school in an amount not to exceed the maximum in-state tuition and fees at a public Institution of Higher Education. An annual books and supplies stipend of $1,000 is paid proportionately based on enrollment.

A monthly housing allowance based on the Basic Allowance for Housing for an E-5 with dependents at the location of the school. Input the year, zip code of your school location, and an E-5 pay grade into the Department of Defense Basic Allowance for Housing Rate Query in order to obtain an estimate of what this payment might be.

If you are still in the military, you will not receive the housing allowance. Additionally, if you are enrolled exclusively in distance learning you will receive have the national average ($1350.00) for the housing allowance.

If your enrollment has been certified 30 days prior to the start of the term, any benefits paid directly to you should be expected to arrive in the month following the first full month of school. For example, if you start school in the fall, your first benefit should be expected to arrive in November

To learn more about required qualifications and the benefits provided, please visit the Post 9/11 GI Bill website or call the VA at 1 (888) GI-BILL-1.